Are you a freelancer and solopreneur who makes to make every move count? Looking for ways to turbocharge your solopreneur productivity? If your answers are in the affirmative and you want to dip a toe into a side gig or start a business full time, here are some essential tips to boost your productivity as a solopreneur. These tips will help you achieve a lot more for your business in less time and establish good work habits for more profit-making potential for your solopreneur venture.
- The Three-Minute Rule: The Three-Minute Rule is an incredible way to get small tasks off your work plate so you can emphasize on the bigger tasks with ease. The basic idea behind this rule is to complete any chore or task that you can do in less than three minutes. The tasks may relate to your home or work life, such as cleaning your desk, sending an email, or putting clothes in the washer. Apply the three-minute rule to any task that may be distracting you from work or needs to be done. If the task would take you just three minutes to complete, you should do it now.
- Give It Ten: If you have an important project or task on your plate but somehow you are procrastinating for whatever reason, you need to remind yourself to give it just 10 minutes. You probably should avoid complex tasks or those that will take a long time or you just don’t like doing them. There is a possibility that you may not complete a huge task in just 10 minutes. However, beginning it generally will unlock your ability to maintain momentum throughout the journey of the task and get it done. The proverb, “Well begun is half done” rightly fits in here and that’s productivity gold! Start working on a project that you may have been dreading for some reason.
- Match Tasks to Energy: All of us have the same 24 hours in a day yet the quality of those hours with us varies significantly. Remember, our energy levels throughout every day are dependent on countless factors, such as wake and sleep cycles, also known as the circadian rhythm. All you need is to pay close attention to your body and find out when you’re most alert and tired. Work on what you value most whenever you’re most alert.
- Schedule Everything: Schedule everything in your digital or paper calendar. When you have the entire day mapped out, it becomes easier to avoid distractions and stay on track. For instance, you can even decide on the best times to clean out your mail inbox, take a shower, or engage on social media and schedule them in your calendar. You may even use the repeat function to make scheduling a breeze for any recurring tasks that you don’t want to forget.
- Delegate More: The best way to boost your freelancer and solopreneur productivity is to outsource or delegate tasks that someone else can easily do. For instance, you can hire the service of a virtual assistant to help you with graphic design, social media outreach, or communication. All in all, your primary goal should be to focus exclusively on the core tasks that you enjoy and do best.
- Stop Being Busy: Have you ever heard of the Parkinson’s law that states, “Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.”? How about putting it on sticky notes or making it your computer screensaver? It will serve as a good reminder for you to stop keeping yourself occupied with low-value tasks and instead divert your concentration on doing work that matters.
- Get good (and I mean good) tools: A lot of small business owners and freelancers generally hesitate to invest in tools and software. They somehow forget or undermine the importance of having good software that is like having a little, strong army of Santa’s elves that don’t need to be fed. To get started, start with focusing on the return on every investment and not the initial cost.
These tips to improve your solopreneur productivity can help you balance your new solopreneur venture or your side business as you scale up to full speed. Remember, all you need is to learn how to harness the power of productivity!